Bear Grylls OBE is a British adventurer, writer, television presenter, motivational speaker, and entrepreneur. He is a former SAS (Special Air Service) serviceman, survival instructor, and honorary lieutenant-colonel. He is also the ‘Chief Scout of the United Kingdom and Overseas Territories.’ He is best known for his television series “Man vs. Wild.”
|Real Name||Edward Michael Grylls|
|Title||Born Survivor: Bear Grylls|
|Profession(s)||Former SAS (Special Air Service) Serviceman, Survival Instructor, Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel, Adventurer, Writer, TV Presenter, Businessman|
|Famous For||His TV series, Man Vs. Wild (2006-11)|
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Body Measurement (approx.): Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 14″
Eye Colour: Grey
Hair Colour: Brown
|Date of Birth||7 June 1974 (Thursday)|
|Age (as in 2021)||47 Years|
|School||Eaton House, Ludgrove School, London, England|
|College/University||• Eton College, London, England|
• The University of West of England, Bristol, England
• Birkbeck, University of London, Bloomsbury, London, England
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor Degrees in Hispanic and Latin American Studies|
|Residence||• The narrow-boat moored by Battersea Bridge on River Thames, London|
• Saint Tudwal’s Island west off Abersoch on the Llŷn Peninsula, North Wales
|Hobbies||Performing Karate, Writing, Mountaineering, Swimming, Playing the Piano|
|Controversies||• His show, Man vs. Wild, received huge criticism earlier. According to the viewers, some scenes are misleading and manipulated. He pretends to be alone in the wild, actually, he is not. He remains with the whole crew and gets assisted by them sometimes.|
• In one such episode of Man vs. Wild, he was attacked by a fake bear. Actually, he was attacked by a man wearing the costume of a bear. This happened when the crew was unable to find a tame bear.
• In a scene, it was shown that Bear Grylls had escaped an active volcano with poisonous Sulphur dioxide, but it was not so. However, the scene was manipulated with special effects; using hot coals and smoke machines.
• In another episode, he simulated to be stranded on a desert island. However, the episode was reported to be filmed on an outlying part of Hawaiian Archipelago. After filming, Bear Grylls rested in a motel there
Relationships & More
|Marriage Date||Year– 2000|
|Favourite Food(s)||Eggs, Avocado, Chia Seed Protein Smoothie, Banana, Chocolates|
|Favourite Beverage||Almond Milk|
|Favourite Song||The Bare Necessities (performed by Tony Bennett)|
|Favourite Mountaineer||Edmund Hillary|
Photos & Images
|Net Worth (approx.)||$20 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bear Grylls
- Does Bear Grylls smoke?: Not Known
- Does Bear Grylls drink Alcohol?: Yes
- His father, Sir Michael Grylls was a politician who was implicated in the cash-for-questions affair, and his Mother, Sarah Lady Grylls was the daughter of a politician, Patricia Ford.
- His grandfather, Neville Ford and his great-grandfather, William Augustus Ford, were the first-class cricketers.
- Bear Grylls has one sibling, an elder sister, Lara Fawcett, a cardio-tennis coach, who gave him the nickname ‘Bear’ when he was a week old.
- In childhood, he learned to climb and sail with his father who was a member of the prestigious Royal Yacht Squadron. In his teenage, he learned skydiving and earned a second Dan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate.
- Grylls is a very religious person. Once, he described his religion as a backbone of his Life.
- He is a linguist. He can speak English, Spanish, German, and French fluently.
- After leaving school, he wanted to join the Indian Army to have an opportunity to reach the summit of the Himalayan Mountains.
- In 1996, Grylls survived a freefall parachuting accident in Zambia. His parachute ripped at 4,900 meters, partially opened, causing him to fall. Somehow, he managed to survive, but the fall partially bruised his three vertebrae.
- On 16 May 1998, at the age of 23, Grylls accomplished his childhood dream of climbing the Mount Everest.