Poorna Jagannathan was born on Friday, 22 December 1972 (age 48 years; as in 2020) in Tunis, Tunisia. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She grew up in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil, and Argentina, and she did most of her schooling in these countries
Poorna Jagannathan is an Indian-American actress and producer. She is known for her roles, ‘Safar Khan’ in the HBO miniseries, The Night Of (2016), ‘Menaka Vashist’ in the Bollywood film, Delhi Belly (2011), ‘Katie Richmond’ in the TV series, Big Little Lies (2019), and ‘Dr. Nalini Vishwakumar’ in Netflix’s series, Never Have I Ever (2020).She also studied at Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, a school in New Delhi. She studied in the University of Brasilia, Brazil and earned her BA with a major in journalism and minor in theatre from the University of Maryland, College Park. She pursued her Master’s in Fine Arts from the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University. However, she dropped out of her course, a year later and continued to learn acting from her teacher Elizabeth Kamp, who she had met while studying in the college.
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 169 cm|
in meters– 1.69 m
in feet & inches– 5′ 6½”
|Date of Birth||22 December 1972 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||48 Years|
|Hometown||She grew up in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil, and Argentina.|
|School||• While travelling from one country to the other, she did her schooling in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil, and Argentina.|
• Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, New Delhi
|College/University||• University of Brasilia, Brazil|
• University of Maryland, College Park
• The Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University, New York
|Educational Qualification||• BA with a Major in Journalism and Minor in Theatre from the University of Maryland, College Park|
• Master’s in Fine Arts from the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University, New York (Dropped out after a year)
|Ethnicity||South Indian American |
|Food Habit||Vegetarian ((PETA India|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Reading, and Watching Theatre Plays|
Family & Ethnicity
She belongs to a Tamil family and is a South-Indian American.  Her father, Krish Krishnan is an Indian diplomat. Her mother’s name is Vasantha Krishnan; both her parents are from Chennai.
She is married to Azad Oommen, and the couple has a son named Anav Oommen.
Awards & Achievements
- Annual Kamala Pasand Max Stardust Awards in 2014
- Verve magazine named her among the top 50 most powerful women in India in 2014
- Best Dressed Award by Grazia Magazine in 2014
- Amnesty International Freedom of Expression Award in 2013
- Scotsman Fringe First Award in 2013
- Herald Angel Award in 2013
- Most Fashionable Indian Woman by Cosmopolitan in 2013 and 2012
- Winner L’Oreal Femina Women Awards in 2012
- Featured in Femina magazine’s “India’s 50 Most Beautiful Women” List in 2012
|Actor(s)||James Gandolfini, Aamir Khan|
|Actress(s)||Kalki Koechlin , Shabana Azmi|
|Play(s)||Our Town by Thornton Wilder, Amajuba by Yaël Farber|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Poorna Jagannathan
- Poorna Jagannathan belongs to a Tamil family, and both her parents are from Chennai.
- She attended the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University to pursue her master’s degree in Arts., but, after a year, she dropped out of her course and continued to learn acting from her teacher Elizabeth Kamp, who she had met when she was studying in the college.
- She has acted in supporting roles in major Bollywood and American films such as The Weather Man (2005), Awake (2007), Peace, Love, and Misnderstandings (2011) Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Growing Up Smith (2015), Carrie Pilby (2016), THe Circle (2017), Mile 22 (2018), Share (2019), and Alia’s Birth (2020).
- After acting in minor roles in the TV series, Rescue Me (2006), Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2006), The Game (2008), Numbers (2009), Royal Pains (2010), House of Cards (2015), and NCIS: Los Angeles (2016), she made her breakthrough with the role of ‘Safar Khan’ in the serial, The Night Of (2016).
- She likes watching movies, watching theatres, and reading.
- Before starting her career as an actress, Poorna was working in the field of advertising.
- From a very young age, she was known as ‘porn.’ Talking about her nickname, she says, 
I didn’t even know what a porn was at that point. But you know, that’s kind of been my nickname for years and years and years. And my Instagram handle is @poornography_. So I’ve just taken it on — there’s no two ways about it.”
- Poorna has been featured on the cover of Marie Claire, Femina, Jade and Exotica and covered in numerous publications like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Cosmopolitan and Grazia.
- She has been featured in the Vogue magazine as one of 8 women who are changing the face of beauty in India in 2012 and in their list of most stylish women in 2012, 2014, and 2015.